Monday, July 16, 2007

Hummingbird

What's wrong with this picture?

A couple of weeks ago, a hummingbird appeared outside my office window and about a week ago she started nesting.

I believe her to be a Broad-tailed Hummingbird, or Selasphorus platycercus, if I’ve read my National Audubon Society Field guide to birds, western region of North America correctly.

The guide says the female nests in pinion trees. I guess my neighbor’s trees, whose branches hang over into my yard, must be pinions.

I went out and washed my window and set up a strobe to get clear pictures of this bird and will monitor its activities to see if she lays two eggs as the guide says she will. If there are young, I will try to photograph them also. So stand by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this thrilling event. The foliage in the picture looks like Juniper, the other half of our base ecosystem.