Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hall of Fame! Tony Gwynn

What’s Wrong With This Picture?

Tony Gwynn, who played his career with the San Diego Padres, was voted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame along with Cal Ripkin Jr., who played his entire career with the Baltimore Orioles. They will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer in Cooperstown, N.Y.

So What’s Wrong With This Picture?

I never saw either Gwynn or Ripkin play.

This shot was taken of Gwynn appealing a call of the home plate umpire during a Mountain West Conference game against the University of New Mexico Lobos, April 23, 2003. He was Head Coach at San Diego State University Aztecs, coaching his son Tony Jr.

UNM 14 – SDSU 11.

OK, this is one of the secrets of What’s Wrong With This Picture? I happen to have, in my archives, a picture of someone who has now done something that lets me pull out the picture and say, “I saw him when.”

The elections are over; I couldn’t tell you who’s in the running for the Super Bowl. I saw a few minutes of Florida taking apart top ranked Ohio in the college championship the other night and that's about as much football as I’ve watched all season. So it’s really about getting back to Spring training, the crack of the bat and the smell of the freshly cut grass.

Who am I kidding; I just have had enough of winter. Officially, only a month in and I’m ready for baseball, because summer can’t be far behind.

No comments: